The 2020 MUMS orchestral/chamber ensemble auditions will NOT be a live audition on campus. Due to COVID-19, we are unable to host our standard face-to-face auditions in September.
RETURNING MUMS members do NOT need to audition for the society. Data will be used from the previous academic year to seat pre-existing members. If a player feels that they have strongly improved since their last audition they can email firstname.lastname@example.org to try and arrange an online audition. If you were a MUMS member last year but do not wish to be seated this year please email email@example.com to let us know.
Please note that is NOT an audition for:
- FIRST YEAR MUSIC STUDENTS; if you are a first year music student, please follow the submission process that the department has emailed you.
- Ensembles such as MU Big Band, UM Brass Band etc. !
AUDITION INFORMATION FOR NEW MUMS members:
We ask students who are new to the society this academic year to SEND A VIDEO RECORDING IN THE FORM OF A PRIVATE YOUTUBE LINK to Robert.Guy@manchester.ac.uk. Please put ‘MUMS 2020/21 AUDITION’ as the subject title.
The video should contain:
a) The required orchestral excerpts (more information on this below)
b) An instrumental piece (c.5 mins)
The excerpts are from Tchaikovsky Symphony no.4, and you can find the orchestral excerpts by clicking on this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k35ttks0owyksbs/AAA3Pkmlm3JXgnpXD7ByPWNua?dl=0
Please note, percussion excerpts have been selected from a variety of works in order to provide options for a number of percussion instruments. Due to COVID-19, we are aware that some percussionists may not have access to the instruments that they need for the excerpts. Because of this, the percussion excerpts are optional. Percussionists may perform as many or as little as they wish depending on the instruments that they are able to practice on.
Along with the excerpts, please prepare A SHORT (c. 5min) PIECE OF YOUR CHOICE. This can be accompanied or unaccompanied.
We will use the auditions to inform us of chamber and orchestral seating in the coming months. However, your attitude and playing within the society over the course of the year will also be taken into consideration when deciding the seating of the ensembles.
Please remember to ATTACH the 'MUMS 2020 AUDITION FORM' in the Dropbox link TO YOUR EMAIL. This form includes details such as year of study and orchestral experience. DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION IS 16TH OCTOBER.
Please note that due to COVID-19, MUMS Symphony Orchestra will NOT be performing this first semester. Instead, we hope that concerts will be able to go ahead that include a greater number of chamber ensembles. Because of this, these auditions will be used primarily to offer opportunities for players to perform with smaller ensembles. If the Symphony Orchestra is able to run in the second semester, these auditions will still be used as a means to seat the orchestra.
Some final notes:
We would like to stress the importance of having well prepared excerpts. In the past, there has been a tendency for players to focus on their own piece over the orchestral excerpts required.
Some tips in order to get the most out of your audition:
• Have a listen to the piece, taking note of tempos and styles.
• We would like to hear a secure and consistent performance, therefore the priorities are technical accuracy and expression. However, please try to match the excerpts to concert tempo as much as possible.
• Don’t underestimate the value of counting—it is very important, especially if the excerpts are solo lines.
• You will not be required to audition on auxiliary instruments (Bass Clarinet, Cor Anglais, Piccolo, Celeste etc.). However, please do indicate in the email if you have experience on these instruments.
• Pianists and saxophonists do not need to prepare orchestral excerpts. The short piece is enough.
• Clarinettists may play all excerpts as written on Bb clarinet unless they choose otherwise.
Enjoy your audition; our main aim here is to try and gauge an understanding of you as a musician. Our opinions and any notes made will be completely confidential, however do feel free to contact us for a short note on how we think you can improve.
For any further questions, please email Rose and Minnie at firstname.lastname@example.org