NEW: Opera (February 2020) Auditions - October 2019
MUMS Opera Auditions are now live! This year, MUMS will be putting on the opera The Enchanted Pig, by Jonathan Dove (performed on 21st and 22nd of February, 2020).
- Tuesday 15th October | 10:00 - 13:00 - Martin Harris Centre, Danel Room (Ground Floor)
- Wednesday 16th October | 18:00 - 21:00 - Martin Harris Centre, Room F37 (First Floor)
- Thursday 17th October | 10:00 - 13:00 - Martin Harris Centre, Room F37 (First Floor)
You can book your audition by clicking on the link below:
You can find more information on the opera, the acting extracts (required for the audition) and the musical character examples by clicking on the Dropbox link below:
The character extracts are correspondent to these pages in the score:
Pig: 244 - 5
- The auditions will last 10 minutes and will be very informal. We just want to get to know you and your skills.
- Please prepare a short piece of music of approximately 2-3 minutes max. Bear in mind the styles of music listed above to inform your choice. We have also attached some extracts of music from the opera itself to give you an idea of the kind of style we’re going for. If you have an aria in your repertoire this would be preferable but in general just perform what you know and are comfortable singing for us. Be prepared to take notes and re-direction in the audition and be off-book if possible to help with this. Please bring printed sheet music for the accompanist.
- We will then ask you to perform a spoken extract from the text to gauge your acting abilities. These can be found in the dropbox link. Please choose the correct extract for your voice type and take plenty of time getting to know these before your audition. It will be clear to us who has been working on the scene prior to showing us!
- We will finish the audition with a quick informal chat about any previous experience you have.
- Any successful applicants will be invited to a second round of auditions which will take place on Sunday 20th October. This information will only be released once everyone has auditioned.
If you have any queries about opera in MUMS or the audition process, please email Thomas Clough at firstname.lastname@example.org.