Orchestral Auditions - September 2019
MUMS holds orchestral auditions each year for all of our ensembles except MUWO (Wind Orchestra) and MUSO (String Orchestra). First year auditions are pre-booked, and details will reach you before welcome week. For returning orchestral players, the slots are:
- Tuesday 17th September | 14:00 - 18:00
- Monday 23rd September | 17:00 - 21:00
- Wednesday 25th September | 17:00 - 21:00
You can now book your orchestral auditions by clicking below:
You can find the orchestral excerpts by clicking on this Dropbox link:
If you haven't received a confirmation email having booked your auditions, check your junk emails!
If you have any problems whilst using the online sign-up system, please email James and Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org for help!
The excerpts are from Rachmaninoff’s Symphonic Dances.
Also included is a full score and excerpt list. Please note, percussionists are not given orchestral excerpts to prepare. Please just bring a piece (c.6 min)—this can be an orchestral excerpt of your choice or piece for solo percussion.
Some tips in order to get the most out of your audition:
- Have a listen to the piece, taking note of tempos and styles.
- We would like to hear a secure and consistent performance, therefore the priorities are technical accuracy and expression. However, please try to match the excerpts to concert tempo as much as possible.
- Don’t underestimate the value of counting—it is very important, especially if the excerpts are solo lines.
Along with the excerpts, please prepare a short (c. 6min) piece of your choice. This will be unaccompanied (except in the case of First Year Music students who will have a student accompanist). Please bring one copy for the panel (and one for accompanist, if First Year Music Student) and note that you may be asked to stop before the piece is finished. Copies of the orchestral excerpts do not need to be provided to the panel.
We will use the auditions to inform us of orchestral seating in the coming months. However, your attitude and playing within the society over the course of the year will also be taken into consideration when deciding the seating of the orchestra.
Some final notes:
- You will not be required to audition on auxiliary instruments (Bass Clarinet, Cor Anglais, Piccolo, Celeste etc.).
- First study pianists and saxophonists do not need to prepare the audition extracts IF they do not wish to play in MUMS large ensembles (e.g. Symphony orchestra).
- First Year Music Students who wish to play more than one instrument or who wish to audition for their second study will have their audition combined and should bring both instruments. Everyone else should book separate auditions for each instrument.
- Clarinettists may play all excerpts as written on Bb clarinet unless they choose otherwise.
- Please email us (email@example.com) with any enquiries regarding availability of percussion instruments
Please do not be put off by concerns regarding your future time commitments at university. We can discuss how much you want to play within the audition, and we will try to seat the orchestra accordingly.
Enjoy your audition; our main aim here is to try and gauge an understanding of you as a musician. This is particularly important for first year music students who are also assigned their instrumental teacher through these auditions. Our opinions and any notes made will be completely confidential, however do feel free to contact us for a short note on how we think you can improve.
For any further questions, please email James and Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org.